Battery or AC: AC
Description: N551JM
Model: N551JM
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot: -
Last edited by prorotor on 2019/11/8 13:04

Hi,
I have seen that there is a new bios version 206 for model N551JM, which is now a couple of years old.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/N551Jm/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Since the previous update was in 2016, I thought this new updatewould fix Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities, but this was not the case.
May we expect a fix for those models and what was the point of therecent bios update?

Even older motherboards on the same (Haswell) architecture received the fix, why not the notebooks?

Thank you for the clarification!

Props
IND Level 5 | All posts
until releasing new bios ,  you can fix by registry key.
Search Google Spectra meltdown registry key
Props
prorotor SVN Level 1 | All posts
Thanks, but registry keys cannot solve all these threats! Nevertheless a proper bios fix is needed via microcode/firmware update for Spectre.

Will be a new version of bios for this model, since it is now more than 4 years old?

I was surprised that Asus released a recent bios update, but without addressing the meltdown fix. Why releasing a new bios then?

Props
IND Level 5 | All posts
prorotor posted on 2019/11/12 15:05
Thanks, but registry keys cannot solve all these threats! Nevertheless a proper bios fix is needed v ...

using linux  OS, downloaded  corresponded the processor microcode to your processor model. you can update the  processor microcode. Many of  the linux users are upgraded their processor microode which fixes the spectra and meltdown issues
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

Level 1
Posts2 ZenCredit5 Points11 best answer0

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm