ZenFone2 Bug Report
Model: ZE551ML
RAM: 2G
Firmware/APP Version: WW-4.21.40.144
Frequency of Occurrence: 1.8Ghz
Rooted: Yes
APP Name: -
Screenshot: -
Just so happens I can't upgrade mine to build WW-4.21.40.184 (marshmallow) from this version.

Downloaded and placed inside internal storage, the system finds the .zip file and starts to upgrade it. After a while an error pops up and the log said
Failed to verify whole-file signature from /cache/update.zip; Signature verification failed

According to this, the .zip file might be corrupt, but I find it kinda impossible since it was downloaded from ASUSTek and not from a third-party website, and also because looking at other threads couldn't find people who had problems when upgrading it to WW-4.21.40.184 from WW-4.21.40.144. That makes me think this unit is the problem.

Don't know if it's relevant but it might be useful to know this one was originally CN and then switched to WW.

Tried putting it inside internal storage and also sideload it but neither worked. I'd be glad someone gave me a solution other than throwing it against the wall and smashing it to smithereens.

Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
Last edited by Driver8666 on 2016/12/21 02:27

Okay. I'll go lighter than what I usually say on here.

The tutorial, while I've never followed any of it, is only partially correct. What is missing is that it is highly recommended to download the firmware for an upgrade/update via a computer. It's not the unit. There have been reports that if you download the firmware with your phone, when you update your system it'll fail to update or upgrade if you did this OTA. For this method you will need a computer. It's not the file itself or your phone. If you downloaded the file with your phone, delete that first. Then follow these instructions:

1. Download the firmware using a PC. You will need at least 2.5GB free in your phone's memory.
2. Plug in your phone and make sure the phone shows up in My Computer. Read the Release Notes before proceeding. I'm clamping down on people that didn't do this.
3. Go into the folder where you downloaded the upgrade and select Copy. Then paste this file into the root directory of your phone. Not external memory. When you click on the internal memory of your phone, paste it there.
4. Unplug your phone. When you do, you'll see "System Update/Upgrade detected", whatever the hell is it. Tap that, and rest easy.

This method should work. And for those of you that say wipe cache, factory reset your phone before and after, you'd better stop it right there. No anecdotal evidence suggests that it makes you phone better or worse. I rammed mine through without changing anything and it was fine.

As for the CN-WW firmware switch, I'm going to guess you purchased this online. If you did, you will not see the System Update option on your phone. This is nothing new here. People purchase this phone outside their geographical region or regions.

Props
IRN Level 2 | All posts
Do you have no problem filling the internal phone memory you have?
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
ErfanNj posted on 2016/12/21 02:21
Do you have no problem filling the internal phone memory you have?

That's not the issue. The issue here is he can't update his phone. I posted what I did on here.
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi nikob909,

Please refer to what "Driver8666" suggested.

thanks
Props
BGD Level 3 | All posts
I had same problem. You can try download by PC then copy to internal storage or sd card. Then try. 100% success 
Props
nikob909 ARG Level 1 | All posts
Driver8666 posted on 2016/12/21 04:19
Okay. I'll go lighter than what I usually say on here.

The tutorial, while I've never followed any ...

Will try as you say, though downloading it from my PC was the first thing I did, and after reading that, i thought "well, download stopped at some point"... that's when I tried with the phone...
Props
LTU Level 6 | All posts
OTA Android M 184 size 71.1MB:
https://www.yadi.sk/d/eI3zS5jYyFkdi
Props
Download from PC and send to root directory, checked...
Read release notes, checked... No useful information though...
''System Upgrade....'', checked...
Starts perfectly fine but ''Error'' keeps showing up...
If you want the log I took some photos...

Release notes

Release notes

Where was stored

Where was stored

Phone can find it

Phone can find it
Props
That's part one... they are in order...

IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG