Release Note
ZenTalk

[Share] [Review]ASUS ZenFone 3 Max  

106298 215
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Tan Lee PHL Level 7 | All posts
Last edited by Tan Lee on 2016/9/4 22:39
Hello and i just wanna share my review and experience about the new ASUS ZenFone 3 Max, bought last august 29,2016.
ASUS recently launch and announces last ZenVolutionph the new generation of ASUS ZenFone series,ASUS ZenFone 3 Max,ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser,ASUS ZenFone 3,ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe and ASUS ZenFone 3 SE version, some of new zenfon series are now available.

Let's take a look first for device specifications.
Processor: MediaTek 64-bitQuad-Core [url=mailtorocessor@1.25Ghz]Processor@1.25Ghz[/url] GPU: Mali T720.
Display: 5.2-inch HD(1280 x 720) IPS display 75% screen-to-body ratio.
Storage: 3GB Ram and 32GB Rom and expandable upto 64GB external memory card.
Battery: 4100mAh Lithium (non-removable).
SIM networks: Dual SIM card & Dual SIM card &  Dual Standby supports 4G LTE.
I/O Ports: Micro USB, 3.5mm audio jack(1 Head phone / Mic-in).
Camera: 5MP Front  and 13.0MP f/2.2 5P largan lens auto focus with LED Flash and supports with ASUS PixelMaster Technology.
Full HD Video recording 1080p @30 FPS
Take still photo while recording video
Power Adapter: Output: 5 V 2 A 10 W
Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz universal.
Wireless Technology: 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth V 4.0 +EDR
Accessories: Charging adapter,charging cable,otg cable,zenear and key pin ejector.
Device views.jpg

Know more here: ASUS ZenFone 3 MaxProduct Video here by ASUS,

What's on the box?
1 x Z3nFone 3 Max Glacier Silver.
1 x ZenEar and Pair of Earbuds.
1 x Charging Adapter.
1 x Charging Cable.
1 x OTG Cable.
1 x  Key Ejector(See image below).
Warranty card and
User Manual.
Whats inside.JPG

Key Ejector Pin with zenny!
Key ejector holding with zenny.JPG

A device powered by MediaTek 64-bit quadcore @ 1.45Ghz with huge 4100mAh non-removable battery but not too thick.
4,100mAh battery of this device is the best and #1 feature,  that is huge and  amazing!
Based on ASUS, ZenFone 3 Max can reach upto 30days of standby time or up to 20 hours of 3G talk time, or up to 18 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, or up to 87 hours of music playback.
Based on these estimates, it will simply last for the whole day at least without charging if you are the average user.

Based on my test earlier continues data network on and moderate browsing / application usage without turning off the screen, starts 9:00AM to 1:00PM 50% of the battery was drained, so approximately there will be more than 8hours of usage without heating up the device. Hihi thank you mediatek!
Note: sorry late sa screenshot,around 1:00pm dapat yan
Battery data continues.jpg
Charging, Did you know ASUS ZenFone 3 Max 4100mAh could take less than 2hours only? Yas, just less than 2hours from 15% to 100%! I've tried it just this past few days. Set it to super-saving mode for faster charging and i think it has usb 2.0? Not sure. Note that it can also function as a power bank so you can use it to charge your other mobile devices.
One of the good in ZenFone 3 Max, When the battery detected/reach 100% full charge it will automatically stop the charging even in using powerbank/charging adapter as in cut from charging, it prevent from overcharging and overheating, Led green light will also turn to off. Unlike the previous ASUS ZenFone it keep coming the power from adapter but...it has also smart charging. Magkaiba lang ang way nila.  

Gaming test?
Im not particular with those latest gaming and im trying to get some of it due to demand and will update soon!
Aside of it, "pokemon go" is working fine on this device make sure you have allowed permission of your location settings.
Device pokemon go.jpg

Note: credit to sir nikko. So sorry guys my fault, i just forgot the location settings of my device.

Design, a newly contoured 2.5D curved glass touch screen.
The body build in metallic just like ASUS ZenFone 3 and asus ZenFone 3 laser. ASUS ZenFone 3 Max overall design is just similar to ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser, the sides are curved design for a natural and comfortable grip.

Due to huge battery it is still has a thin profile and thickness at 8.6mm but it’s slightly thicker than Zenfone 3 and Zenfone 3 Laser.
The front screen protected by 2.5D Glass touch screen,unfortunately its a unknown type, 2.5D means it has a slight curve which does not give a sharp feeling when you are holding it unlike other zenfone with flat glass displays.

More crisper Power and volume rocker are displayed at then side of device and iconic concentric design can seen at the around of the camera surface.

As we've seen on the past the usually removable back casing of previous ZenFone are no longer in asus zenfone 3 series,  SIM & Sd Card slot are located  at the side of device, you could only open that when you use the key ejector pin included to the package.
Device sim card slot.jpg
Asus zenfone 3 max available in three gorgeous colors: sand gold,titanium gray and glacier silver, all of these are crafted with metallic body.
ASUS ZenFone 3 Max totally looks premium,beautful and elegant. Sabi nga ni ceo mr.jerry shen, -"It feels so smooth" and yes very smooth!

Camera.
13.0 megapixel rear camera supported with ASUS PixelMaster Technology,
With 1 LED Flash. General Camera modes are low-light mode,Super-resolution,Beautification mode,time lapse and HDR mmode but unfortunately manual mode not incuded.
rear camera of ZenFone 3 Max stil impressively even there are some issues that needs of software update. The camera delivered Sharper image ,zero shutter lag and faster processing image.
As of my observations, camera Unstable color white balance, too grainy/noise image but after
5.0megapixel front camera has also serious issue, when you take selfie  it becomes blurred around image pero sa face detected ok sya na parang hindi. Let me say hindi pa stable ang camera ng asus ZenFone 3 max. Siguro hindi rin ako sanay sa 5.0MP.
After of these camera issues, its still picture perfect!
Additional, yet doesn't support ASUS ZenFlash.
Auto mode with lights on

Auto mode with artificial light.jpg

Auto mode in lights off / dim area

Full auto. No flash.jpg

Low-light mode,no flash

Lowlight mode without flash and dim area.jpg

Auto mode w/ flash
AUTO with Flash.jpg

It seems like slightly yellowish flash.

A Dual micro sim dual standby supports 4G LTE network(Hybrid sim) ,its just similar and nothing difference on network compare to ASUS ZenFone Max,
but hotspot manage settings of ASUS ZenFone 3 Max just upgraded.
Go to hotspot and you can now set manually the maximum and minimum user could be able to connect to your device.
Hotspot 8users.jpg

You can change/set the bandwidth usage/maximum speed of the data you shared in hotspot including your AP Bandwidth, maximum speed is 10mb's.
Hotspot data speed settings.jpg

idk if your device data speed will be affected.
And every devices connected on your hotspot you can be able to block and unblock of each them.
Hotspot blocking section.jpg

Very nice idea for this one, its just like have your  own wifi account.
There's a bug in this part.
When you seen it Connected ako sa hotspot ng zenfone 3 max pero displayed sa notification is zero user.
Hotspot zero users.jpg

The new fingerprint sensor also pretty good, it's easier now to unlock your device in just 0.03seconds. Yes 0.03seconds! Can recognize upto 5 fingers and covered in 360° recognition.
You have 3 choices in this device when it comes to locking and unlocking, we have the power button, zenmotion and the fingerprint sensor. So any of them can be able to activate at the same time. Aha..
Device fingerprint sensor.jpg

Fingerprint sensor can be as alternative shutter button of your camera and answer call without touching screen.

Antutu benchmark score of ASUS ZenFone 3 Max:

Devicee antutu.jpg

Recenty, i received system update ,just prompted on my screen and auto installed. I dunno why. Changelog zentalk not yet available.
Please update yours now.
Device update and system info.jpg

Let me say, ASUS ZenFone 3 Max is a excellent choice, very affordable smartphone with longer battery life and new features technology package. A elegant and beautiful design crafted with metallic body for a price of 8,995pesos.
Afterall of these bugs i've encountered, everything works fine and its just a recent bugs its still possible to fix just system update and software update.

What do you think of this new smartphone from ASUS? Just leave your comment in the comments section below.
Thank you !

I am incredible

Current ZenFone:
ASUS ZenFone 5 (T00J)
ASUS ZenFone Selfie (ZD551KL)
Props
PHL Dr.Zen | All posts
Good job and thanks for this nice review Dr. Tan!
Props
PHL Level 5 | All posts
Thanks for the nice review sir Tan..
Props
IND Level 1 | All posts
I have a doubt on ZenFone max... when I looked up YouTube reviews what I knew is new ZenFone max comes with a 615 snap dragon processor under 10k. And for 3gb version it costs 12k..
But when I enquired about it in a shop they told me..there is only 410 chipset for under 10k...
Well I bought it. But now I feel like I was kinda cheated by solding the old version :/ so how can I know its the new version ZenFone max ? 
Props
Last edited by Tan Lee on 2016/9/3 20:52

Hi, we have only here 1 variant released both last year 2015 and this  year 2016. Last 2015 august asus released the ASUS ZenFone Max powered by Qualcomm snapdragon 410 with 2GB Ram and 16GB Rom, 5,000mAh battery life and srp 7,995(before 8,495)  and this year 2016 july release ASUS ZenFone 3 Max with MediaTek cortext A53 and 3GB Ram / 32GB Rom and 4,100mAh battery in srp of 8,995.
These 2 zenfone max are the only officially announce and release here by asus and not everything in internet/social media doesn't mean we have that too. There are different ASUS ZenFone,diffirent specs and these zenfone has a respective country to be given.

Props
Last edited by Tan Lee on 2016/9/3 20:52
soubith posted on 2016/9/3 19:54
I have a doubt on ZenFone max... when I looked up YouTube reviews what I knew is new ZenFone max com ...

Before buying these zenfone, you should check it first to asus philippines fb page or at asus.com/ph if when will be release,how much it cost and what specs has this device.
So you will know what zenfone are you looking for.
However, ASUS ZenFone.Max 2015 is still a good choice, it has huge 5,000mAh battery and good camera quality.
Props
PHL Dr.Zen | All posts
nice job on the review! thumbs up!
Props
PHL Moderator | All posts
I noticed you don't have the Location Services icon on your notifications/status bar. Are you sure you enabled location permissions for Pokemon Go?

Rate

Participants 1ZenCredit +1 Hide Reason
Tan Lee + 1 Thank you sir!

View rating log

Props
PHL Level 5 | All posts
how to see your post tan they required a password
Props
Hi guys!
Thank you for reading my review and i appreciate it.
You can now access this thread!
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share link list
Share by pm