Release Note
ZenTalk

[Other] All about Mobile Fingerprint Scanners

4160 6
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Zen_Aakash IND Moderator | All posts
Last edited by Zen_Aakash on 2019/5/1 11:25

Fingerprint Technology has been around for quite some time now and for most people out there its now a part of our daily lives in terms of how we access our smartphones. But do we even know how it works?

In this article I shall tell you how, and also this won't be a hardcore science article. I shall try and keep it simple & also interesting in everyway. So let's get started!

To start the topic off, you should know that there are couple types of fingerprint reader technologies that are today incorporated into oursmartphones.

Optical CCD Fingerprint sensor (Mainly for in-display fingerprint scanning)
Capacitive Fingerprint sensor  (For Dedicated on-body Fingerprint sensor)
     Ultrasonic Fingerprint sensor (For in-display fingerprint scanning and dedicated on-body)

Types of Fingerprint scanners:

Optical Scanners

Optical scanners works much similar to how a digital camera works – youneed light to capture something – in this case a picture of the fingerprint ridges. The sensors work around the image which is captured when you place the finger on the sensor. To read the Image more accurately & effectively the sensor throws a light which creates a better image of your Finger, this light also helps to pick the unique patterns of your fingerprint which helps to keepthe scanners to be more accurate & unique each time it reads a new Fingerprint.For a more technical perspective, you can go through the above Image to knowhow exactly it works technically. An important point to note that Optical Scanners which are used apart from in-display scanners are slower than below Capacitive Scanners.

Capacitive scanners

These types of scanners are widely used as they are more secure &don't rely on Image as optical scanners. Capacitive scanners use Digital formof technique to process your fingerprint data & can't be fooled easily. The capacitor isthe main component in Capacitive scanners which makes the thing morecomplicated yet secure. Going through the process here tiny capacitor circuitis placed which is a circuit as a whole. Once you place your finger on thesensor electrical charge/Signal is generated. This Signal is tracked orcollected also through the conductive plates which is the next line of operation. OP AMP - Operational Amplifier’s job is to track changes &convert the data from Analog to Digital. After this process is completed the data is analysed through distinctive & unique attributes of your finger. Asfingerprints are not the same, this analysed data helps in recording & analysing for further requested data.
Above Image also give you the Imagery explanation of the process.

In Display Fingerprint scanners & ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanners

Indisplay.png

To actually capture the details of a fingerprint, the hardware consists of both an ultrasonic transmitter and a receiver. An ultrasonic pulse is transmitted against the finger that is placed over the scanner. Some of this pulse is absorbed and some of it is bounced back to the sensor, depending upon the ridges, pores and other details that are unique to each fingerprint. You can't use tempered glass protection on the in display ultrasonic readers as they act as a barrier.

There isn’t a microphone listening out for these returning signals, instead, a sensor that can detect mechanical stress is used to calculate the intensity of the returning ultrasonic pulse at different points on the scanner. Scanning for longer periods of time allows for additional depth data to be captured, resulting in a highly detailed 3D reproduction of the scanned fingerprint. The 3D nature of this capture technique makes it an even more secure alternative to capacitive scanners. Ultrasonic sensors do have a limitation when screen protectors are applied & it can act as an obstruction. Qualcomm’s ultrasonic technology works through the glass that’s up to 800 microns thick.

There will be more & more ways of using these types of technology in the near future. We have also seen cases where the Manufacturers has raised the technology bar wherein the whole display can be used to unlock your smartphone.

Fingerprint scanners vs Face Unlock

Fingerprint scanners are convenient to use whereas Face Unlock can be a gimmicky (unless you have a phone that scans your face in 3D with a dotprojector and scanner), face unlock using cameras is a less secure method oryou can say not the kind of technology which is ready to replace Fingerprint scanners. If Face Unlock technology has to work it has to keep evolving. Thereis a lot of investment to be made when Face Unlock technology is concerned. Sensors, Camera, etc need to work together to give more secure, reliable & fast unlock method. Fingerprint scanners are here to stay & Face Unlock technology mostly will be a secondary option to be used.

So here it was a quick, elaborative & detailed Explanation, Comparison & the Future which holds on to these Important Features a smartphone packs in. Do let me know your thoughts on the same. Did you like it? Do you want more of these types of Article to show up? Stay Connected to Zentalk.

Props
IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
Last edited by starktend on 2019/4/25 18:26

To me, Face unlock isn't that reliable as it can possibly raise Security & Privacy concerns (People Suing Giants), but agree to the fact that Fingerprint Sensors aren't going anywhere. BTW nice informative article. Is there any indication regarding something new from ASUS..?
Props
Zen_Aakash IND Moderator | All posts
starktend posted on 2019/4/25 17:50
To me, Face unlock isn't that reliable as it can possibly raise Security & Privacy concerns (People  ...

Something new always from ASUS. Stay Tuned.
Props
USA Level 1 | All posts
ASUS Max software update 7.1.1
Props
IND Level 2 | All posts
Good Article!!
Keep Sharing such knowledge upgrade articles!!
Props
Anonymous 
Hello readers. I am Santos Oliver from Slovakia. I want to say thank you great shedi spiritual consultancy for a powerful spell casted to reconcile and bring me back together with my partner.. Just as you said and assured me that my partner will be back to me to reconcile, That is how it has happened, I am having a lovely and remarkable moments with the love of my life, Though we are both of same gender there is so much love in our hearts, I Santos 32 and my partner Jake 29 are so good and a perfect match.  I never bothered if i was a male and him as well a male gender, All i have always felt is love and happiness. Though the past few weeks was hell for me losing my partner all because of a conflict and a small fight, Getting him jealous to have seen me with a female friend, Not wanting to understand my explanation it got us separate ways not until i found help on how to get back together with your love. And i was lucky to get helped out after receiving an empowered ring delivered to me from great shedi consultancy home of spell casting. I can not imagine how my life would have been without Jake in my life, He has been making me not minding what people say about us being gay lovers. I would have been in great pains and sorrows for long, If not for the attention of Shedi consultancy home of spell casting, I want everyone to know that spell is not new to anyone who uses the internet frequently. More accurately, most of us depend greatly on the internet for information's and ways to fix things. It can be relationship related, or finance related or any kind of problem you can think of. So in all words we try everything we read to fix it which might just include spell casting. I know this sounds crazy but believe me spell casting is just as real as any other thing you can think of it just turned out that the internet is flooded with a lot of fake making it is very difficult to separate the "shaft from the wheat" fake from real. But believe when i say Shedi spell is powerful and ultimate. If you want to give a try to his wonderful work consult him on his contacts email and phone.Email is shedispellcaster@gmail.com phone contact is +233503796250 i am giving these vital information out to only serious minded people who might need any help to reach out to him and testify as well. Thanks for reading.
Yours sincerely.
Santos Oliver.
Slovakia.
Props
USA Level 1 | All posts
I am so happy today for what doctor Dr. Phil of drphilhomeofsolution@gmail.com He is a great spell caster. My family have be living together in peace and love, we were married for 10 years with Five beautiful kids and everything went smoothly until my husband started staying out late and would beat me up with any excuse he gets, he would always get drunk and i was bent on finding out what the problem was and i discovered that he was seeing a young woman outside who he was planning to move in together and was preparing a divorce. I became devastated as i love my husband so much and i looked for help, i contacted many spell casters but nothing happened until i met with doctor Dr. Phil, who told me so many things and said i should worry about my present situation and that all will be well and told he was going to cast a reunion spell that will bring my husband back to me and he was true to his words, i want you all to help me thank and i promised him that i will always tell people of his good works. He is a powerful spell caster. contact for what ever problems you have and he will help you out of it. Here's his email address drphilhomeofsolution@gmail.com and also his whatsapp number is +1(412)405-1961 contact him he is a powerful spell caster and i pray he help you out too.
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share link list
Share by pm