Release Note
ZenTalk
12Next

[Replied] [Gamevice] Gamevice + Controllers issues?

1834 11
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Zunkey OTHERS Level 2 | All posts
ROG Accessories
Firmware/App Version: 1811.46
Frequency of Occurrence: 2.9ghz
App Name: N/A
Screenshot: -
Last edited by Zunkey on 2019/1/16 12:47

So I have had my Gamevice controller for almost a week now, and it's by far not an awful controller, don't get me wrong.

However, it needs some desperate improvements, and I know ASUS does not make this controller, Gamevice does, but I hope ASUS can fix parts of its issues with the software.

Issue 1: Deadzone (Fixable by ASUS)
I guess I'll start the topic of how the joysticks work in any game that supports native gamepad input, not mapped input. The joysticks aren't bad, they are on par with the Nintendo switch - however, they have an issue when it comes to outer deadzone , where it does not reach 100% on any of its axis except backward. especially on any game that requires the user to reach the full 100% value on either joysticks axis. Now I know this is a hardware problem, but you can correct it partially with software, by making the 90% value it reaches 100% when the device uses the value.

For example: In Minecraft, you walk faster if you press the buttons on the screen, but if you push forward on the Gamevice you walk about 90% of what the touchscreen/another controller would; not to mention you can't sprint at all. This is apparent in a lot of games.

Issue 2:  Headphone jack on the Gamevice (Unfixable, its Gamevice's fault)
The Gamevice seems to have no filter for audio, where you can hear your headphones buzzing from the interference in the controller's circuitry, despite no sound being played. For an $80 CAD controller I wish this wasn't an issue, but like I said, its not ASUS' fault at all, the blame lies on Gamevice for this one.

Issue 3: Common controller support for keybinding
Honestly, you should be able to use the keybinding part of the game genie to bind controls for common controller types, such as PS4 (Bluetooth, Hold Share+Power to turn on Bluetooth mode), and the XBox1 controller (BT), especially when you want to call the ASUS ROG phone the best gaming phone (It is... but for lets just pretend for the argument), not supporting the 2 most common controllers on the market seems a bit odd.

Please don't get me wrong, I may sound negative writing this, but I really want to help out make the ROG phone better. I really appreciate the power user ideology you guys all take on the ROG phone, especially features like the 90hz/60hz toggle Q.S tile, flashlight when the screen is off for squeeze... etc.

I really hope you guys get around to fixing these issues, I know you guys are busy and all with all these new bugs popping up, but please put some thought into how you want to handle other devices and how the gamepads joystick axis works.

Thanks

Amateur android developer, from Canada.
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi Zunkey,

For the first issue, do you have a short video for reference?
Apart from Minecraft, does it also happen in other apps?  Please tell me your Minecraft version.
Please tell me the apps and their version, and how the problem affects the game.

For the sound from the headphone jack on Gamevice, I have reported this issue to our team.
If there is any news I will notify you.

For the third issue, you are welcome to share your ideas in the Idea For Next section,
the ideas there will be highly considered in our phone design.
https://www.asus.com/zentalk/for ... mdisplay&fid=46

Thank you.
Props
Jei_ASUS posted on 2019/1/17 19:41
Hi Zunkey,

For the first issue, do you have a short video for reference?

Minecraft Version 1.8.1.2

Limbo (Gamevice support app, listed in their app as supported?) has issues with diagonal stick axis
(ex. Up and Right)

Geometry Race V1.96 - Issues where single stick input does not make the full speed of movement, however, can be fixed but using both sticks at the same time... cuz android HID gamepad support is really good.

Octodad Dadliest Catch seems to work good,
Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR, Starwars) seems good but I haven't tried it much.

Modern Combat Versus seems to work for the most part, there may be a bit of movement stick issue but I can't really notice it,

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath has an issue where the user cannot run (Hold X + Stick forward) but supposedly works on other gamepads. Oddworld Strangers Wrath suffers from the same thing as Minecraft I guess, it's just not as apparent until you try to run. the Stranger also starts a half sprint when you walk backwards.

You guys should probably start by seeing if this is reproducible in your end and that it's not just my device, while I try and somehow make a usable video.
Props
Zunkey posted on 2019/1/19 17:07
Minecraft Version 1.8.1.2

Limbo (Gamevice support app, listed in their app as supported?) has issu ...

Hi Zunkey,

Sorry, we would like to make sure the below.

For Minecraft, "walk about 90% of what the touchscreen/another controller would", do you mean there is an area that cannot be reached 100% when using Gamevice, or the speed is too slow?

"When it comes to outer deadzone, where it does not reach 100% on any of its axis except backward" -  For this do you mean the distance cannot be reached 100%, or cannot accelerate?

For Limbo, could you tell us more about what kind of issues are there with diagonal axis?
Please also tell us your version.

For Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, the problem same as Minecraft is it "walk about 90% of what the touchscreen/another controller would", or the part about cannot run?

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Props
Jei_ASUS posted on 2019/1/22 01:30
Hi Zunkey,

Sorry, we would like to make sure the below.

For limbo, it sometime glitches out and stutters the characters when moving with the stick up + right.
I have the lastest version of limbo from the play store.
1.16 (65)

For stranger, the issues are caused by the same thing as the Minecraft, I suspect it's all related to the outer deadzone
Props
Zunkey posted on 2019/1/23 00:59
For limbo, it sometime glitches out and stutters the characters when moving with the stick up + ri ...

Hi Zunkey,

The problem of deadzone will be improved through an upcoming firmware update.
I will notify you when the update comes up. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

For limbo, do you mean moving up & right at the same time with the analog thumbstick? With or without jump (Y/A) ?
If it is possible to provide a short video, this could help us greatly.

Thank you.
Props
For limbo, it sometime glitches out and stutters the characters when moving with the stick up + ri ...

Hi Zunkey,

A new firmware update WW-15.1630.1812.68 has been released and improved the problem of deadzone.
Please update to the latest firmware. If the problem is not improved, please let me know.
If you have not received the update yet, you can check update in Settings > System > System updates.

Thank you
Props

Hi Zunkey,

For the Gamevice headphone jack buzzing problem when no sound is played, this issue has been reported to Gamevice.
Since earphones with different performances may produce different results using Gamevice,
we would not advise users to use earphones for a long period when no audio is playing.
Thank you for your understanding and support for ASUS products.
Props
Jei_ASUS posted on 2019/3/11 19:38
Hi Zunkey,

For the Gamevice headphone jack buzzing problem when no sound is played, this issue ha ...

Was the firmware update released? I am still on ww .46 and haven't updated for a month.
Props
Zunkey posted on 2019/3/14 02:57
Was the firmware update released? I am still on ww .46 and haven't updated for a month.

Hi Zunkey,

Yes, the latest firmware version is WW-15.1630.1902.80.
If you have not received the update yet,
you may check update in Settings > System > System updates,
or download the firmware files from our website: https://www.asus.com/Phone/ROG-Phone/HelpDesk_BIOS/
How to manually update: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1009748/

Thank you. Have a nice day
Props
12Next
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm