ZenTalk
123Next

[Share] How OTG works with our ZenFone?

24703 28
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
gjmsds112510 PHL Dr.Zen | All posts
Last edited by gjmsds112510 on 2018/5/25 20:06

In today’s technology most of our ZenFone users are already looking forward for an OTG compatible device. I for one is not an exemption for this. Why? Primarily for the reason that an USB on the go accessory is a good way of expanding your ZenFone or smartphone’s memory when downloading and saving some movies, music, videos, documents and even pictures in it without utilizing your ZenFone’s internal memory or its SD card per say and can serve as an adapter for connecting game controllers, mouse, keyboard and etc.

So what is USB OTG then to be exact?
USB OTG (USB On the Go) is a standard that enables mobile devices to talk to one another. Traditionally mobile devices could only connect to a laptop or PC by USB, but the USB OTG makes it possible for these devices now to connect directly to each other.
By enabling your device to act as a USB host – that is, to be the boss of other devices that you connect to it – you can use additional hardware such as storage, keyboards or even musical instruments together with your handset

I find the USB OTG very useful for my Zenfone Selfie and Zenfone 5 as I am now able to download and play some movies, videos, music and even open some documents in my OTG device without worrying on running out of memory while doing so.

1.PNG

(Though what I got is a 16gb SanDisk Dual USB OTG type that looks like this pic below.)

You can connect to any storage devices such as USB sticks or external hard drives with USB OTG (for the OTG cable type). Using a file manager on your device, you can directly access data on your external storage devices and play movies or music without having to store them in your Zenfone. In short, you can use it as a backup storage for your photos, music, and other files from your phone. Thus, freeing more memory space in your Zenfones.

2.PNG

So for some who do not know if their ZenFones have it? Below are the following models supported with an OTG function:
  • ZenFone 4 series
  • ZenFone 5 series
  • ZenFone 6 series
  • ZenFone 2 series(ZE551ML)
  • ZenFone 2 Laser
  • ZenFone 2 Max
    Series(ZE550KL/ZE500KL/ZE601KL/ZE600KL)
  • ZenFone Selfie (ZD551KL)
  • ZenFone C (ZC451CG)
  • ZenFone Zoom
  • ZenFone 3 (ZE552KL/ZE520KL)
  • ZenFone 3 Laser (ZC551KL)
  • ZenFone 3 Max 5.2 (ZC520TL)
  • ZenFone 3 Ultra
  • ZenFone 3 Deluxe 5.7 (ZS570KL)
  • ZenFone 3 Zoom
  • ZenFone 4 Max
  • ZenFone 4 Selfie
  • ZenFone 4 Selfie Lite
  • ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro
  • ZenFone 4
  • ZenFone 4 Pro
  • ZenFone 5
  • ZenFone 5Q
  • ZenFone Max M1
  • ZenFone Max Plus
  • ZenFone AR

• ZenFone5
    ZenFoneSelfie
    Zenfone3 ZE520KL
    Zenfone4Selfie
    Zenfone5_ZE620KL
    Props
    Nice guide Dr. Love! This will surely help a lot of zenfone users
    Props
    hideki elixir posted on 2016/11/8 01:17
    Nice guide Dr. Love! This will surely help a lot of zenfone users

Thanks Doc Joel.
    Hoping to share more helpful information to our fellow zenfans
    Props
    Oh, oh, for those looking for great OTG, here's a good one that's on-sale in Lazada:
    Sandisk OTG 32GB with Sandisk MicroSD Class 10 32GB (http://goo.gl/TRFKEH)

I usually use OTG functionality to easily transfer big files such as my photos (for fast edit using Photoshop) and movies. As the name implies, it allows you to have the USB functionality on-the-go.
    Props
    lynnellemmanuel posted on 2016/11/8 19:10
    Oh, oh, for those looking for great OTG, here's a good one that's on-sale in Lazada:
    Sandisk OTG 32G ...

Same here. Making things easy.
    Props
    PHL Level 1 | All posts
    Please add support for ntfs hdd on otg. I know asus zenfone 3 is very capable. Lets put it this way, lg g2 and g3 plus samsung note 3 and s5 supports hdd ntfs format on otg and these are all more than 2 years old, some even in marshamallow os. How come zf3 is not capable to do this?
    Props
    PHL Moderator | All posts
    johngaudilla posted on 2016/11/18 00:05
    Please add support for ntfs hdd on otg. I know asus zenfone 3 is very capable. Lets put it this way, ...

After searching a bit on the internet, those smartphones you mentioned are also not supporting NTFS natively. After a bit more research, I think the reason for this is that NTFS is Microsoft's proprietary file system and thus conflicts with Android's open-source nature. This is why NTFS support is no longer common on newer devices these days.

It's all about the licensing conflicts. It's why we can't have nice things.
    Props
    PHL Level 5 | All posts
    in addition, one very important feature of having an otg enabled device is that, you can use it to charge other phones! haha
    Props
    dgdelrosario23 posted on 2016/11/18 08:34
    in addition, one very important feature of having an otg enabled device is that, you can use it to c ...

Yes i agree on that. Works more with zenfone Max as this one has bigger batt capacity to share with the other phone
    Props
    PHL Level 4 | All posts
    Anyone has a otg cable type C?
    Props
    123Next
    Advanced mode
    You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
    Share link list