Model: ZE551ML
RAM: 4G
Firmware/APP Version: WW_2.20.40.194
Frequency of Occurrence: 2.3
Rooted: Yes
APP Name: Asus Messaging
Screenshot: -
Hi Guys,

Finally we got Android M for our devices through manual update and however i wonder why OTA update is not provided. I just want to clarify before updating my device regarding the SMS backup in 'Asus Messaging'. I believe Asus Messaging app will be removed once we update our phone to Marshmallow. In that case, how the SMS backup will work?.How to import or read the already taken backup messages? Does it work with Google Messaging or we need to download any third party apps? Can we download 'Asus Messaging' from Google Play? Also is there any way we can read our backed up SMS in our PC/Laptop?

Please provide your suggestions.

Props
IND Beta Tester | All posts
   This reply is the best answer.   
Last edited by keshav_c17 on 2016/8/31 15:38

After updating your device Factory reset is highly recommended. After that ASUS Messaging app will no longer be there. Yeah, you have to make backup of the sms and save the backup file in external storage as internal storage will be cleared after factory reset. You have to use 3rd party app which provide this facility as I haven't seen any option to import sms in Google Messenger. I personally used these steps and successfully installed my messages to Google Messenger. And yes, in future if you want ASUS Messaging app you can install it from play store. But your default app will be Google Messenger.
Props Helpful 0
SGP Level 4 | All posts
There is a backup messages options in messenger settings (see image).

From my understanding, BEFORE updating to MM, i should be able to back up using ASUS backup app as well. After updating to MM and reset, it should be able to restore.

Yes, the messenger app can be installed in MM (did that on my ZenPad 8.0).

But you may want to validate before taking the plunge.
Screenshot_2016-08-31-18-35-46.jpg
Props
Thanks keshav & chooks for your suggestion. Is there any way to read the back up SMS in laptop or PC? i.e. our Asus SMS backup file with extension '.smsbackup'
Props
USA Level 1 | All posts
To backup data from your phone to pc, some professional data backup programs are good choices for you, like Titanium Backup and airdroid, they are popular backup tool. And this android transfer app allows you to save a lot of time to transfer or backup text messages, contacts, photos, and other media files like videos, music files.

How to backup text messages from android.
Props
USA Level 1 | All posts
As you know, we can't transfer android phone text messages to computer just via the usb cable, try Coolmuster Andoid Assistant, it could transfer everything from your phone to computer with few simple operation.
Props
CHN Level 1 | All posts
You need to download a third party tool,like Samsung Messages Backup which is highly recommended by Android phone users.It can help users to copy data between Android phones and computer without any hassle.
Props
IND Level 3 | All posts
itylinabh posted on 2017/1/7 15:21
To backup SMS from your phone to PC, you can use Android Message Backup tool. With it, we can direct ...

cld you please provide more details?
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm