ZenFone 4 Bug Report
ZF Model: ZC520KL
RAM: 2G
Firmware/APP Version: WW-16.0200.1904.16
Frequency of Occurrence: Almost every call
Rooted: No
APP Name: -
Screenshot: -
Hello, since you have allowed us to be beta testers, I'd like to report one beta bug that seems to be an issue, but primarily for left handed users.  On the latest Pie beta, WW-16.0200.1904.16, when the phone is held left handed and you talk long sentences, you sometimes end up sounding like you're in a tunnel.

It appears to be from the noise cancelling mic, which when left handed, is aiming at the shoulder (since rather than being on top of the phone, is located on the left side of the phone), so it's picking up my voice almost as loud as the main mic.  On previous ROM builds, it wasn't really an issue, but on WW-16.0200.1904.16, the sensitivity appears to have been cranked up higher.

If this isn't the right place to report beta bugs, where can I send these to help your beta testing teams?

Steps I've taken to resolve the issue:
1.  Ensured full battery.
2.  Ensured latest beta build is installed.
3.  Ensured I have full phone reception.
4.  Tried previous stable ROM (Oreo shows this issue happens less frequently, or not at all, it's only on the beta so something changed on the latest beta in which how the noise cancelling mic is used.)

Steps to resolve issue:
1.  Hold phone in right hand.  Left handed use results in eronous noise cancelling after a while, whereas holding in the right hand does not cause this issue.

Steps to reproduce:
1.  Hold phone in left hand, especially if you happen to be laying on the floor or bed, the phone has a hard time telling from noise to voices, as the microphone is now being cupped against either your shoulder or the bed (due to the poor location of the mic not being on the top).

Possible resolution?
1.  Adjust sensitivity or threshhold for the noise cancelling microphone to discern voices more clearly from background noise, or allow a setting to disable the noise cancelling mic entirely for left handed users.

Thanks!

Remember, I understand it is a beta.  I am just here to report a bug with the beta, so I can assist in it becoming a more stable and complete ROM so you have a more successful release when it is ready.
Props
Hakemon OTHERS Level 2 | All posts
I can now officially confirm it's the noise cancelling microphone.  By taping it up with electrical tape (the mic at the top left of the phone), all phone calls are now loud and clear.
Props
Through careful modification of the ROM I am able to fix the buggy phone calls in your beta by changing options in build.prop.  I know this isn't supported, but it's a potential fix for your BETA so please forward this to engineering.

ro.vendor.audio.sdk.fluencetype=none
persist.audio.fluence.voicerec=true
persist.audio.fluence.speaker=false
use.voice.path.for.pcm.voip=true

I know this means noise cancellation is disabled, but please understand that something is wrong with fluence (it's far too sensitive, you can't even lay down in bed and talk) in your Pie BETA ROM and the only way to get around it is to disable it.
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Last edited by Selena_ASUS on 2019/8/16 11:26

Hi Hakemon

Good day
Thank you for your feedback
Please note that Android 9 (Pie) AOSP Beta version will not be supported with routine updates.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for usingAsus, your feedback is highly valued and we will do our best to provide ourcustomers with better user experiences. Thank you
Props

Selena, the purpose of a beta is to get feedback on bugs.  Are you telling me that you published a beta without any intention for feedback?  What was the point then?

I don't think you really are a software developer, so is there anyone here who is a software developer who can track feedback and reports on the beta like you are supposed to be doing?  Or are you seriously releasing betas and just leaving them as-is without any intention to actually do anything with them.  If so that's very annoying and maddening because that means you don't even care about programmers feedback.
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

Level 2
Posts113 ZenCredit18 Points95 best answer0

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm