Release Note
ZenTalk

[Reviews] ZenFone 5Z Pro mode review  

6979 9
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Wayne_ASUS TWN Moderator | All posts
Last edited by Wayne_ASUS on 2018/10/4 14:42

Original article author: tsungyi0216(ZenTalk TW)

After discussing how to use Auto operations, today we’re going to discuss PRO operations; how to use the smartphone’s camera function and check for photo noise for night shoots. Taking photos at night will cause the ISO to change due to the brightness of environmental lights; the aperture F1.8 of ZenFone 5Z cannot be changed, so we can only adjust the exposure time S and ISO to complete the shooting. First let’s understand what each of the functions do. Then enter the camera function and slide the screen to the right to open this screen:

Press on PRO and the following screen will appear:

Reset: Resets all functions
AF: Focus; this is auto focus when not in use, but manual focus can be performed when in use. Slide to the left or right to focus on the object; for example, when the light is darker and it is difficult to focus automatically, or when focusing on close-up objects, especially for macro photography.
S: Shutter 32S~1/10000S; 1/2S~1/10000S when using 120 degrees wide angle camera.
ISO: Sensitivity 25~3200
EV: Exposure compensation +2...+1...0...-1...-2
WB: White balance. As the name suggests, it balances white colors. Its function is to allow digital cameras to shoot accurate white colors under any color temperature.

Shutter S, under normal usage it is usually between 1/2000 ~ 1/30; 1/30 is a safe shutter, which means that if the value is lower than that level, the shutter can easily become blurry due to hand movements and therefore tripods are needed. However, the image stabilizing function of ZenFone 5Z is pretty good, and it can support 1/15 S. This requires some practice. To take photos of night views, light trails or nebula, 1/5 ~ 32 S has to be used; 1/3 ~ 3 S is usually used for night views, 5 ~10 S for light trails, and ISO 1600~3200 15S F1.8 for galaxies. Since the earth rotates, long exposures cannot be used. If the exposure time is too long, it will turn into lines. Therefore the ISO must be adjusted to get appropriate luminosity. Beware that noises will be formed if the ISO is set too high, so this is when the capability of ZenFone 5Z’s sensitivity is tested. As for fireflies, it might be difficult, especially since current smartphones all use overlays.

Do not use ISO over 800 unless absolutely necessary; the smaller the ISO, the more detailed the image will be. But reducing the ISO means that the time needs to be extended, and so tripods are very important at a time like this.

EV exposure compensation can only be used under Auto mode of PRO.

WB white balance: It is recommended not to use this function. The white balance of smartphones is quite accurate, it is difficult to adjust it during post-production after using it. So use Auto all the way and the photos can be adjusted with white balance during post-production.

F1.8  ISO 33  1/60 S

Although it was dusk, the light was still bright. Just a side-note, The HDR of ZenFone 5Z is really great; we’ll talk about it later.

F1.8  ISO96  1/40S

The sky cannot be too bright and the ground cannot be too dark; use neutral density filter when necessary.

F1.8  ISO25  4S

As the sky gets dark, it is great to take photos of light trails; longer exposures can be used.

F1.8  ISO25  26S

Use the smallest ISO25 and make the exposure time longer to get depth of field.

F1.8  ISO25  20S

Beautiful light trail photo was taken using 20S exposure; what’s worth mentioning is that the light spot at the top-right corner of the photo was not visible with the eyes while the photo was taken. I realized it was there after I saw the photo. It’s not the moon! And I have no idea what it is.

F1.8  ISO50  8S

This photo shows the weak spot of all smartphones; digital zooming is not suitable because the edges of objects far away become blurry.

F1.8  ISO25  2S

Shutter 2S was enough to take photos of night views, but the light trails were too short; so use 6-10S. This photo used the original ratio with no zooming. The edges of objects far away are clear.

F1.8  ISO100  1/4S

The sun had just set and the sky was blue; I used long exposure to get the reflections.

F1.8  ISO25  1.6S

Besides getting the reflections, I also got the light trails to the right.

F1.8  ISO25  1.6S

F1.8  ISO100  1/4S

National Taichung Theater; PRO mode was used and there were no noises on the dark parts.

F1.8  ISO100  1/4S

National Taichung Theater; PRO mode was used and there were no noises on the dark parts.

F1.8  ISO100  1/8S

F1.8  ISO100  1/2S

City lights do not require exposure times that are too long.

F1.8  IS0100  1/3S  4:3

Even with white clouds, the noise was good.

F1.8  ISO100  1/3S  

The image of the fountain is clear.

F1.8  ISO100  1/3S

Once digital zoom is not used, buildings far away are still quite clear; but when you take a closer look, it is still not good enough. I’ll explain the reason in the conclusion.

F1.8  ISO100  1/3S

F1.8  ISO131  1/24S

It was okay to take photos indoors holding the camera by hand.

F1.8  ISO48  1/40S  AI

This photo was taken using Auto mode.

F1.8  ISO100  1/2S  4:3

I went to DaKeng, Taichung for night shooting while the rain stopped ~ DaKeng Lovers Bridge

F1.8  ISO100  1/2S

Sensitivity and noise; try comparing them.

F1.8  ISO100  1/2S

F1.8  ISO50  1S  4:3

F1.8  ISO50  1S  16:9

F1.8  ISO50  1S 4:3

F1.8  ISO50  1S

F1.8  ISO50  1S  4:3

F1.8  ISO50  1/2S

ASUS ZenFone 5Z F1.8 really can take photos of stars; the bright spots in the photos are the “starlights” on DaKeng Qingxin Bridge, also known as Butterfly Bridge.

F1.8  ISO50  1/2S

ASUS ZenFone 5Z F1.8 really can take photos of stars; the bright spots in the photos are the “starlights” on DaKeng Qingxin Bridge, also known as Butterfly Bridge.

F1.8  ISO50  1S

F1.8  ISO50  1S

These three photos of Qingxin Bridge has no noise.

F1.8  ISO100  1/4S

Blue Sky and White Cloud Bridge; the bright spots are the “starlights”, with no noise.

F1.8  ISO50  1.3S

F1.8  ISO100  1/5S

DaKeng New Taohuayuan Bridge

F1.8  ISO100  1/6S

DaKeng New Taohuayuan Bridge

In order to verify the night shooting capability of ASUS ZenFone 5Z, I went to Qingshui observatory deck to use a darker environment for testing. this time I’ll compare the Auto AI and PRO modes.

F1.8  ISO672  1/13S

Auto AI mode, ISO adjusted to 672, noise is OK but the distant view is kind of blurry.

F2.2  ISO100  1/2S

120-degree wide angle, the aperture changed to F2.2, 8 megapixel; the image was not as good as the main camera.

F1.8  ISO100  1/4S

PRO mode had the best image.

F1.8  ISO100  2S

PRO image is very fine and smooth.

F1.8  ISO100  1.6S   

There were only some small lights around the pavilion so it was kind of dark, but the pavilion was bright.

F1.8  ISO100  1/6S

F1.8  ISO100  1/6S

Cross filter was used.

F1.8  ISO100  1/3S

Cross filter was used.

F1.8  ISO734  1/13S

AI mode; noise had already formed.

F1.8  ISO2996  1/9S

AI mode; noise had already formed. The ISO was too high.

F1.8  ISO692  1/13S

AI mode; noise had already formed. Almost at maximum brightness.

F1.8  ISO100  1/3S

Compared to this photo; PRO mode, low ISO

F1.8  ISO100  1.6S

PRO mode

F1.8  ISO2276  S1/10

AI mode; noise had already formed. The ISO was too high.

F1.8  ISO25  2S

It is beautiful with no noise.

F1.8  ISO25  2S

F1.8  ISO25  3S

F1.8  ISO25  8S  Neutral density filter.

F1.8  ISO25  1.6S

Gorgeous.

F1.8  ISO25  1/2S  PRO

F1.8  ISO223  1/20S  AI

When there’s sufficient light, the AI performs really well.

F1.8  ISO25  2.5S PRO

ASUS ZenFone 5Z F1.8 really can take photos of stars; the bright spots in the photos is starlight, which was not visible when taking the photos.

F1.8  ISO25  2S

It is beautiful with no noise.

F1.8  ISO389  1/17S  AI

F1.8  ISO25  1.3S  PRO

F1.8  ISO361  1/15S  AI

F1.8  ISO25  1.6S  PRO

F1.8  ISO389  1/17S  AI

F1.8  ISO25  1.6S   PRO

F1.8  ISO25  1.6S   PRO  Cross filter.

F1.8  ISO734  1/13S   AI

Captured from the official website:

What I want to explain from this image are the cameras of ASUS ZenFone 5Z. The focal length is 24mm but it is not full frame, so it has to be multiplied by 1.5, which has a 35mm focal length.
This camera is slightly wide angle with 1.8 aperture. Advantage: under low light environments, higher shutter S and lower ISO can be used for imaging to prevent noise from forming. Disadvantage: It cannot capture fine and smooth depth of field; the small aperture is usually required to get depth of field, but if it is a 12~24mm focal length camera, the depth of field will be beautiful. So 1.8 has both pros and cons.
Comparing any brand of smartphone with an SLR camera is meaningless. Just the sensor component CMOS alone is huge on SLR cameras. So no matter what imaging was used, the photo will still look finer and smoother than smartphones. However, the qualities of images taken with smartphones are close to SLR cameras, and it makes the lives of users easier because they no longer have to travel with a bunch of equipment. This is where the meaning and value lies. In the past, I had to travel with my camera, lenses, tripod, flashlight and other equipment, but now I can simply travel with ZenFone 5Z and a tripod, and it can satisfy 80% of my photography needs. It really makes things a lot easier, and that's a big plus.
There was someone else who compared ZenFone 5Z with Nikon D7000, and I must say something for Nikon D7000. Under low light environments or strong contrast lights, smartphones do actually perform better than entry-level SLR cameras. This is because the HDR of smartphones is remarkable, and that’s why photos taken during night shooting look better than those taken with SLR cameras. However, this is also because the lens of Nikon D7000 is a KID lens 18-55 F3.5-5.6. Just the aperture alone is not at the same level as ZenFone 5Z. If it was changed to F1.8 24mm, it would be absolutely different. If I used an SLR camera to take photos today, no smartphones can take better depth of field photos, let alone other photos.

Conclusion
Whether a smartphone is good or bad depends on night shooting, and whether photos of night shooting are good depends on the noises. The ZenFone 5Z smartphone performed very well. AI mode performed greatly as long as it is under ISO400. It is easy to carry and it can satisfy 80% of the needs of advanced photographers. The only thing that needs improvement is its digital zooming, and it would be even more perfect if it could have dual aperture with one large one and one small one. Samsung S9 boasts about its dual aperture 1.5 and 2.4, but they are both large apertures. What is really needed is a small aperture such as F8.0.
I personally love SLR cameras. But, currently the only smartphone that can convince me to take photos with it is the ASUS ZenFone 5Z. It is affordable and meets my photography needs; I will recommend it to my clients and friends. I’ve actually showed the ZenFone 5Z smartphone that ASUS kindly let me use to my friends that were in need.
Next time I will evaluate the HDR function of ASUS ZenFone 5Z; this is the most successful design of smartphones, and the problem of heating when taking photos during daytime. Please stay tuned, thank you!

This post contains more resources..

You need to login to download attachments. No account?Register Now

x

Rate

Participants 1ZenCredit +5 Hide Reason
walyatalattaf.hamidi + 5 Like

View rating log

Props
IDN Dr.Zen | All posts
nice shoot for low light
Props
IND Level 2 | All posts
I am not getting all these details in my camera, pls suggest
Props
OTHERS Level 3 | All posts
My camera is not good at noise reduction. Details are bad.
Front and wide cameras are worse than ZF4. I'm not feeling so good. API is Legacy. FilMic Pro doesn't work. What am I gonna do?
Props
IND Level 1 | All posts
How to hide the message preview even though the apps are locked in zenfone 5z
Props
My Asus Zenfone 5z has lot of issue like I play game pubg at list 20 min then crash it why battery life is poor bug issue recent app not working many problem system update not comeing poor device
Props
IND Level 1 | All posts
Hey flash doesn't works in pro mode

Props
I'm really disopainted of front camera performance. Must fix software updates soon 
Props
IND Level 1 | All posts
When will pie update arrive for Zenfone 5z , and also how are service centres in mumbai
Props
IND Level 1 | All posts
Please show font camera image ...
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm