Release Note
ZenTalk
123Next

[Tips] ZenFone 4 - Wide-Angle Cameras, See a bigger and brighter world

7074 23
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Replies Awards 79 ZenCredit      Reply obtain 1 ZenCredit reward! Each member can get 1 times
Wayne_ASUS TWN Moderator | All posts
Last edited by Wayne_ASUS on 2017/11/14 16:55

ZenFone 4  Dual Rear Cameras
Wide-Angle Cameras, See a bigger and brighter world
I’ve been using ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) for four months now; not only did I use it to record my life in Taiwan, but the first time I took it abroad was during summer break where I went to Kashmir and Ladakh in northern India. Then I went to Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, Sri Lanka, Maldives, and Thailand in August. I’ve been using ZenFone 4 for quite some time. Now I’d like to share my photography experience for the past few months with ASUS’ dual-lens and their first 120° wide-angle lens, and talk about its photography capabilities and frequently used functions.

(The photos in this article were all taken using ZenFone 4 except for the scenarios that appeared in the phone itself; those were taken using a camera)

“ASUS ZenFone 4 Dual Cameras — 5x Light Sensitivity & 120° Wide View”

This is the main title of the ZenFone 4 official website; it clearly and visually tells the consumers that this phone has 120° ultra-wide angle and powerful night-shooting capabilities. The phone has a 5.5 inch Super IPS+ screen with 600nits brightness level; its dual camera system is equipped with Sony’s flagship IMX362 sensor, F1.8 large aperture and 120° wide-angle lens. In terms of its appearance, it’s no longer like previous phones where the camera lens was bulging out; the back of the ZenFone 4 phone is very smooth.

In addition to the camera, it is equipped with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon™ 660/630, and uses a 3300mAh high-capacity lithium battery and quick-charge function. It weighs 165 grams.

This article is very simple; I just wanted to test this mid-level phone that costs around NTD $10,000 under different scenarios, to see if it meets everybody’s usual photography needs.

From the comparison of the dual camera from wide angle to ultra-wide angle, to using HDR to display bright and beautiful backlighting photos, as well as indoor, low-light and night scenarios where photos frequently turn out blurry etc.

The boy who sat in front of me in Sri Lanka

Pyramid in Egypt under ultra-wide angle, highlighting the photo’s main subjects

Using ultra-wideangle up-close to highlight the tension of the photo (the photographer isactually very calm; you can see my shadow at the bottom-right corner)

Maldives resort island underthe blue sky and white clouds

6am, people onDahl Lake in Kashmir (shot using HDR in order to retain details of the sky thatwas too bright)
  Al Fateh GrandMosque (Low-light environment indoors)
  Maldivesisland on the Indian Ocean at dusk

BaliDistrict, New Taipei City at night. Guang Yin Mountain is in the background.

ASUS ZenFone 4 dual camera allows you to shoot wider view
For the dual camera behind ASUS ZenFone 4, Sony’s flagship IMX362 12 megapixel sensor (1/2.55 inch large sensor, 1.4 micro pixel size), F1.8 aperture, 25 mm focus and 4-axis class 4 optical image stabilization are used for the main camera, as well as an extremely convenient one-button camera switch. Simply press to switch to dual camera.

For the secondary camera, it has 8 megapixels, 120° ultra-wide angle and up to 200% wide view, able to capture more people and scenery.

Next let’s just take photos with the main camera’s 25mm wide-angle and the secondary camera’s 120° ultra-wide angle to compare the differences in visual effects of the photos

▼ Shoe repair master on the streets of Kashmir; I greeted him with the dual camera.
── (Left image) Shot with the main camera’s 25mm wide-angle (Right image) Shot with the secondary camera’s 120° ultra-wide angle.

I stood on theroad connecting to Guandu Bridge to take scenery photos of Bali, Tamsui River.After taking a photo with the 25mm standard focal length, two bikers walkedtowards me while holding their bicycles. I wanted to include them into thephoto, so I used the one button to switch to the secondary camera’s 120°ultra-wide angle to display more elements on the screen.
Shot with maincamera’s 25mmwide-angle Shot withsecondary camera’s 120° ultra-wide angle

River worker atKashmir in the morning; the ultra-wide angle captured more environmentalscenes.
Shot with maincameras 25mmwide-angle Shot withsecondary cameras 120° ultra-wide angle

Waiting at theJorden International Airport – Okay! The windows here need cleaning!
Shot with maincameras 25mmwide-angle Shot withsecondary cameras 120° ultra-wide angle

Lamayuru inLadakh; I stood on a hill and shot downwards, using the 120° ultra-wide angleto show the Tibetan in the front and the mountains in the back.

Indoor shooting;since the space was limited, it showed how important the ultra-wide angle is.

ASUS PixelMaster Cameramode:
Auto (Automaticdetection of low-light and HDR)
Beauty
Depth of Field
Pro (Supports RAW file format / maximum 32 second long exposure)
Super Resolution (48 megapixel)
GIF Animation
Panorama
Slow Motion
Time Lapse (used with power-saving mode)
9 filters
--- In additionto the Automatic mode, the author also used Time Lapse, Panorama and Pro(Supports RAW file format / maximum 32 second long exposure) modes quitefrequently.
Alpine valleyscenery in North India shot with “Panorama

Backlight HDR
Almost all of thesmartphones released in the last two years have the HDR functions built-in.This is a great function for people who love to take backlighting photos. Theeffects of the photos are even more bluffed than photos taken with a SLRcamera.
If the light inthe environment has high contrast while shooting, photos can usually be taken directlyusing the smartphone directly. If you are afraid that there might be errors inidentifying the environment, I found a workaround by pressing the brightestpart on the screen because my main concern is not to let the brighter parts getover-exposed.
Frankly speaking,the HDR function of ASUS’ new phone has improved significantly; it can clearlybe felt especially on ZenFone 4 Pro.

A photo of Taipei at dusk, taken at Xiangshan

MaldivesIslands at dusk; details of the plants at front were retained.

Shot with maincameras 25mmwide-angle Shot withsecondary cameras 120° ultra-wide angle, hot balloons in the morning of Egypt; HDR retained thebright parts of the fire and the details of the dark parts of the environment.

Ladakh, NorthIndia under backlight

Low-lightenvironment
It says on theofficial ASUS ZenFone 4 website: Sensitivity increased by 5x under low-lightenvironments (compared to flagship smartphone products of other brands equippedwith 16 megapixel camera, F1.7 aperture and 1.12 micro sensors)
I don’t know whether there’s the 5 carat diamonds likeMrs. Mei-Chiang said, but Sony’s flagship IMX362 12 megapixel sensor is indeedstunning.

Maafush island,Maldives at dusk – B&B workers organizing tonight’s outdoor buffet dinner

Indoor low-lightenvironment at the market of the capital of Maldives, Mali – the environmentwas darker than appeared in the photo at the time.

A sceneryoutside the B&B at Maldives at dusk

Night view ofLuxor Temple in Egypt. The most famous thing here is the obelisk in front ofthe temple. There were two of them, but the other one is now standing at thePlace de la Concorde in Paris.

Shopping mall at Bangkok, Thailand

After admiringthe beauty of Taiwan at dusk from Xiangshan, this photo was taken while I wastravelling downhill and holding the phone in my hand. I think that not only isthe sensor in the phone very important, but ZenFone 4’s built-in 4-axis class 4optical stabilizer is definitely worth checking out.
Shot with maincameras 25mmwide-angle Shot withsecondary camera’s 120° ultra-wide angle

If theenvironment really is too dark, please remember to make use of the Pro mode(Supports RAW file format / maximum 32 second long exposure) in PixelMaster.
Don’t forget toset up the tripod before taking photos using long exposure!
Shooting on rainydays
One of the mostannoying things while travelling is “rainy days”. Not only is it inconvenientto take photos, the mood while travelling is also affected. First of all, ifthere is nowhere to hide from the rain, the photographer must wear a raincoator hold an umbrella while taking photos, and also have to worry about the phoneget wet, as well as the photos getting blurry because of shaking hands.
The second majorproblem on rainy days is the light. The sky turned dark so all colors seemed tohave lost their vitality, and it feels like there’s nothing in front of you that’sworth taking a photo. The truth is, if you can accurately make use of the whitebalance and shutter exposure during rainy days, you can actually take differenttypes of photos because of the reflections of the raindrops that cause brightobjects far away to have hazy beauty and distinct colors. It’s quite adifferent feeling.

We arrived byalpine train to the world renowned black tea production area in Sri Lanka,located almost 2,000 meters above sea level. The temperature dropped significantlyand was only about 15 degrees Celsius; it rained quite frequently in themountains. But since we’re already here, we still had to go out with umbrellasand take some photos.

Powerful mobility of smartphones
The rate at which modern day people swipe the screens of their smartphones increased the successrate of capturing moments significantly; we can take photos with our smartphones whenever we see something fun that we want to take photos of. Sonaturally having a smartphone with great photography qualities will vastly reduce your chance of taking out your camera.

Charming MiddleEastern Egyptian colors!!

Cairo National Museum,Egypt. Thanks to the 120° ultra-wide angle, I was able to capture the scenesbelow.

Scenery of thestreets in Colombo, Sri Lanka!

The photos shared above are the environments that I used ZenFone 4 to takephotos most frequently!
Alright, I’m outof ideas. But during my long journey, I also used ASUS ZenFone 4 to take manyphotos (I really want to submit these photos to the ASUS 2017 photographycompetition, but I’m not allowed to). So next I’ll use travel notes to sharewhat I saw during my trip; it was just like keeping a diary but with mysmartphone.

This is the firstday after I received the ZenFone 4, I rode the bus from Bali and transferred tometro and arrived at Xinyi district to go up Xiangshan to take a peek at thebeauty of Taipei.
In the top photo, I first took a photo using the main camera, and then I usedthe secondary ultra-wide angle camera to take the photo below. The ultra-wideangle captured more of the environment. I liked this display method.

Shot from aviewing platform in Nanfang-ao Shot with main cameras 25mm wide-angle Shot withsecondary cameras 120° ultra-wide angle
Although the author is always out and love to discover the world, but the more places I’vebeen, the more I can feel the different beauties Taiwan has.
Our sceneries areas good as other countries (Come on, there are a lot of strange, irritating attractions abroad).

The National Taichung Theater under ASUS ZenFone 4’s 120° ultra-wide angle

Let’s go back toBali County (District), New Taipei City. The sceneries in front of the author’shouse are also very attractive. I love taking photos of sceneries nearby when Iwalk my dog.

River workers of Kashmir
The Floating Market in Dal Lake of Kashmir.
The mountains,the lakes, the boats, the eagles flying high and low and over rivers and trees.The shouting of boatmen, locals rowing their boats…sitting on this lounge chairin front of the gallery, you can quietly observe the daily life of Dal Lake,Kashmir.
Traditional and fresh river market
I woke up early one day and took a boat to take a look at the interesting transactions of lively boatmen at the river market. Their boats were full offruits and vegetables, and waterways were filled by locals; with the shoutingand chatting of boatmen. The most interesting thing is that only men were here selling things wearing traditional local clothes. Besides all the trade, this place is also great for chit-chatting.
It was quite different from the Mekong River in Vietnam or the water markets in Thailand;the river workers here have retained their traditional lifestyles! I strongly recommend visiting here!

People andsceneries in the mountains of Kashmir Shot with main cameras 25mm wide-angle Shot withsecondary cameras 120° ultra-wide angle

Crossed throughKashmir and we arrived at Ladakh, over 3,000 meters above sea level. Mostpeople here believe in Tibetan Buddhism, therefore there are a lot of Tibetantemples here.

Only ultra-wideangle can capture me!!

Remember thelast scene of the Indian movie Three Idiots? We arrived at that very location,Pangong Tso, 4,200 meters above sea level.

There was thebroad sky and lake, and I also wanted to capture the travelers riding at thebottom-right corner, but the large photo might be needed to see the details ofZenFone 4.

Different fromthe Ladakh temples that I just shared, this is the Al Fateh Grand Mosque of Bahrain.
I’ve entered thequiet and sacred Al Fateh Grand Mosque; this is the number one attraction withthe highest review in Bahrain. Surprisingly, there are very few people here. Mostof the people here came to pray.

Shot with maincamera’s 25mm wide-angle Shot with secondary cameras 120° ultra-wide angle

Welcome toMaldives
Experiencethe clear, clean blue Indian Ocean. On this small island, palm leaves dancewith the wind. Chalets were built along the bay under the blue skies and thesun. They seemed extremely attractive under the background where the sky andthe ocean have the same color.

The sea water was high and hit against the sand, vacationers were freely diving in the ocean.
The magical ocean island is wonderful on the land and sea.
Discover the fascinating, luxurious and beautiful island cluster – Maldives.

The weather ofMaldives, Indian Ocean is not very stable in October; therefore the cloudsshifted frequently. But when it was not raining, the photos look extremelygood.

Maldives underthe dual camera of ASUS ZenFone 4

After extensivetraveling, the most exciting part of the trip that people look forward to isgoing home (no others)
I’ve travelled onplanes hundreds of times, and the attractive sceneries out the window alwayscaused me to ask for a window seat when I’m checking in (but as I grew older, Irealized that the aisle seat was the best choice for long-distance travels!)

ZenFone 4’s dualcamera recorded the sceneries with different visual effects outside the windowof the plane. ▲Shot with the secondary camera’s 120° ultra-wide angle ▼Shot with the main camera’s 25mm wide-angle

Yes. I’m home.
After I got offthe plane and entered the arrival hall in terminal one of the TaoyuanInternational Airport, I was in a hurry to clear customs, pick up my luggageand go home. But the lighting of the building was extremely attractive in themorning; so I stopped to take a photo and check in!

Unparalleled dual camera photo hedonism ASUS ZenFone 4
I used the ZenFone 4 for four months to record my life and travels; its dual-phase focusing system uses dual-phase focus sensing to quickly focus and take photos under low-lighting. It is also combined with optical and electronic stabilizing technologies to make images more stable, reducing the chance of blurry photos significantly (of course the use of tripod is recommended in order to maintain image quality if the lighting is too low). Speaking of which, it has a Professional mode built-in just like cameras, allowing users to adjust shutter speed, white balance, exposure and ISO value (yes, the apertures of all smartphones currently available on the market cannot be adjusted) using one button, as well as the option to shoot and save photos in the original RAW format. It is very suitable for users who like to edit the photos afterwards. However, all photos taken in this article were in JPG format.

I used dual-camera to write a photo diary to capture more sceneries and beautiful memories.

Tell me which model is your favorite in ZenFone 4 series, I will give the first 100 ZenFans additional 1 Zen Credits.

This post contains more resources..

You need to login to download attachments. No account?Register Now

x
Props
IDN Dr.Zen | All posts

Replies Awards +1 ZenCredit

I prefer Zenfone 4 Pro, in terms of specification and design. cute display, body is good
Props
IDN Level 7 | All posts

I choose Zen 4 Pro, a monster phone with great spec, camera and body. A best zenfone for now.
Props
IDN Dr.Zen | All posts

I Love Zenfone 4 Pro, great design, perfomance and amazing camera
Props
IDN Level 5 | All posts

I like Zenfone 4 Pro, premium design, elegant and powerfull performance...
Props
IDN Dr.Zen | All posts

I Love Zenfone 4 Pro,perfomance,,amazing camera and powerfull performance...
Props
IDN Dr.Zen | All posts

i love zenfone 4 Basic, i like the challenge....
Props
TWN Level 4 | All posts

I Love Zenfone 4 Pro,perfomance,,amazing camera and powerfull performance...
Props
IDN Level 7 | All posts

I Love Zenfone 4 Pro, Perfomance, Amazing Camera and Best SmartPhone ever

Props

Lovely Photos! Zenfone 4 Pro levelled up my passion in mobile photography! Hope to have this soon to use it on my photos!
Props
123Next
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm