Release Note
ZenTalk

[Resolved] [Accessory] OTG Devices Are Not Detected

3997 9
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Zaid_Rynes ROM Level 2 | All posts
Hello! Here's a little bug from the mighty Zenfone Zoom (ZX551ML), for you... Whenever I connect an OTG device (a USB memory stick/flash memory medium or a mouse, or whatever), the device is not detected immediately, while the phone is on. I have to restart it in order to have my removable devices detected, functional and operating. I must also mention that the device is in an almost factory(-clean) condition (factory resetted)... almost nothing set or configured.

Can anybody track down this issue and provide a fix? Many thanks!

My version is, as I mentioned in the form, Z00X-4.21.40.314, and the Android security patch level is April 5, 2017. Apparently, the internet has never heard of this version before and it's quite unique (like something above 4.21.40.209, which is the most recent known one apparently). It's not a custom ROM or anything like that - it came out of the box with that firmware installed.

Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi Zaid_Rynes,

Please inbox me device serial number(settings>about>status>serial number)

I will check your system version first.

Thanks
Props
I sent it in a private message. Many thanks!

By the way, why was this thread moved to the "Zenfone 3/ZE553KL(Zoom)" topic? I was talking about and addressing a ZX551ML issue.
Props
Zaid_Rynes posted on 2017/11/10 21:08
I sent it in a private message. Many thanks!

By the way, why was this thread moved to the "Zenfone  ...

Hi Zaid_Rynes,

Could you tell me where do you get this version?

Also, take a screenshot of the build number.

Thanks
Props
Last edited by Zaid_Rynes on 2017/11/14 00:56
FYJ_ASUS posted on 2017/11/13 16:37
Hi Zaid_Rynes,

Could you tell me where do you get this version?

Hello again!

The phone was factory sealed... I purchased it, opened (unsealed) the box and that's the version it came installed with. I found it weird too... because there's nowhere to be found on any Asus support website or on the web in general. Looks like it's unique...

I sent the screenshot in a private message; I don't know if I should post it here (from security reasons).
Props
Zaid_Rynes posted on 2017/11/14 00:48
Hello again!

The phone was factory sealed... I purchased it, opened (unsealed) the box and that's  ...

Hi Zaid_Rynes,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll check with our tech team and get back to you soon.

Thanks
Props
Thank you! I hope it'll get figured out and solved.
Props
Zaid_Rynes posted on 2017/11/15 03:23
Thank you! I hope it'll get figured out and solved.

Hi Zaid_Rynes,

It's confirmed that the system version you have is from Asus factory version.
There should be no worries about using this version.

About your problem, have you tried using another OTG cable?
Props
Last edited by Zaid_Rynes on 2017/11/19 20:43

I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I wiped the cache partition and updated all the Asus stock and default apps, but the issue is solved. There's no need for further assistance anymore; thank you!

I tried two different cables and both worked perfectly on other mobile devices, but not on this one. If the OTG device is plugged in through that cable and the phone detects it and makes it operable only after I restart the system (as I keep it plugged in), it's clear that the issue cannot be at (and with) the cable. Now it works perfectly and accordingly.

Here's a little tip for those who might experience this particular scenario - you plug an OTG device in, use it and then you decide you don't need it anymore, system-eject it and then remove it from the OTG cable (that's still plugged in the phone). If you forgot something and you want to plug it again, you will plug it in the cable socket that's connected to the phone, right? Well, it won't happen anything and the Android system will NOT detect it. You need to remove the OTG cable TOO... and then plug it in again with the OTG device attached to it in order to be detected again by the system.

Thank you for certifying the authenticity of my software version; I wanted to make sure it's genuine as well. I was afraid and suspecting it might be some rigged (unknown) firmware installed by somebody who might have unpacked, used my phone and then sealed it again in the box. I'm glad that Asus kept it up to the level of 2017!
Props
Zaid_Rynes posted on 2017/11/18 01:14
I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I wiped the cache partition and updated all ...

Hi Zaid_Rynes,

It's good to know that your problem is solved.

I'll close this thread for now.

Thank you
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm