Release Note
ZenTalk

12Next

[More Information Needed] [System] Do not roll back software from Marshmellow to Lolypop. It will brick your phone

2022 11
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
robert77 CAN Level 2 | All posts
ZenFone2 Bug Report
Model: ZE551ML
RAM: 2G
Firmware/APP Version: Version WW-52.20.40.196
Frequency of Occurrence: 1.8 GHZ
Rooted: Yes
APP Name: ASUS phone set up
Screenshot: -
Last edited by robert77 on 2017/8/9 20:23

Reciently I upgraded to the latest Marshmellow firmware.  It was causing me severel new bugs with worst one had WiFi dropping randomly.  So I decided to do what I had done previously when I tried Marshmellow and it didn't work properly, and that was roll back to Lolypop which hase less software issues.  

Problem is Google changed how they allow google accounts to be verified 3 months ago.  They notified all app developers on this change so that they can implemente the change so that their apps will work.  I'm sure that ASUS did this change for the latest release of firmware they just did.  BUT.  They did not do this for the roll back to Lolypop firmware.  So anybody who tries to roll back from the latest Marshmellow software that has a lot of new software bugs (Mine would drop WiFi randomly), the roll back software WILL NOT allow you to unlock your phone from a factory reset as it is not updated to Googles new security standards.  You will get that Google 403 error when setting up the phone with the ASUS set up welcome procedure.  It is a dead end as you are not allowed to set up your phone.  And hence, your phone will be bricked.

ASUS needs to fix this.  Unbelievable that they could miss this.  They need to remove that software ASAP from the website.  Also need to fix this for those that bricked their phones. (At least one other poster here had this happen to them.)

This is the software that is on the ASUS website and I used to rollback the firmware.  DO NOT USE THIS!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Version WW-52.20.40.196

Description        ASUS ZenFone2 (ZE551ML) software Image: V52.20.40.196 for WW SKU only*
This is downgrade firmware from Andriod M to Andriod L .
Please ensure backup data before downgrade.
Downgrade to V52.20.40.196 (Andriod L)

Steps of Update:
1.Check software version of your device**
2.Download device software and Update SOP (From “Manual” Item)
3.Only apply to same SKU update, Example: WW->WW, CN->CN, TW->TW.
4.Software update cannot transfer the software SKU and downgrade the software version.
5.Wrong SKU may cause update failure, please update the same SKU version only.
*How to know the device model?
Path: Settings->About-> Model number
Example: ASUS_T00I
**How to know the device software version?
Path: Settings->About-> software information->Build number
***System downgrade may cause part of data missing, please buckup your important data before system downgrade
File Size        1.16 GBytes  2016/09/20  update  

20170808_073102-2.jpg
Props
CHN Level 1 | All posts
Can others confirm this? I was just about to downgrade my Zenfone.
Props
Last edited by robert77 on 2017/8/10 07:48

I was able to UN Brick the phone by side loading the new Marshmellow firmware with the Computer via Sideload method  

https://zenfones.gajetzki.com/

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/ufYG71o0/file.html

http://www.centralandroid.net/2016/11/how-to-flashing-asus-zenfone-2-bootloop.html

The sad thing is that I actually tried to sideload the latest Lolypop firmware and and it still isn't compatible with Googles new security to Unlock factory reset phones and you are still stuck in that error loop.  I had to install the latest Marshmallow firmware to do that.  Once I installed the Marshmallow firmware, when I get to the point of authorizing the phone, I don't get that 403 error from Google and it takes me to Googles Webpage where I enter my account and password and it unlocks the phone.

I'm not sure now that it is unlocked, can I now go back and sideload the latest Lolypop firmware without needed to unlock the phone since the phone is now authorized for use and it I didn't factory reset it?  But it is already giving me the same error popup message saing that my Google security system is no longer compatable with my account, and I need to remove my google account and then add it back again.....  I did that twice before I rolled back to Lolypop....  It just keeps popping up no matter what I did....  Just one of the reasons I was fed up with marshmellow.  I might try rolling back to Lolypop again this if marshmellow drives me crazy enough and especially if WiFi keeps dropping off..

Asus needs to update the older Lolypop firmware with this new Google security method to unlock the phone.  I'm pretty sure that if you now do a factory reset with older Lolypop, you will no longer be able to use the phone afterwards.  Happened to me, and one other poster here.  Anybody out there want to try to verify if that would happen to them???
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi robert77,

I tried to downgrade from M to WW-52.20.40.196 via SD card update, there is no issue found.

Also, Google FPS applies only to devices running Android 5.1. The firmware 2.20.40.196 is Android 5.0.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en

When the phone start to set up after downgrade, it does not ask me to sign in a google account that was previously synced on this device. It just simply ask me to sign in with an account.

How did you downgrade?
Props
CHN Level 1 | All posts
FYJ_ASUS posted on 2017/8/10 18:26
Hi robert77,

I tried to downgrade from M to WW-52.20.40.196 via SD card update, there is no issue f ...

Did you have a screen lock or a Google account logged in?
Props
Last edited by robert77 on 2017/8/10 21:49
FYJ_ASUS posted on 2017/8/10 18:26
Hi robert77,

I tried to downgrade from M to WW-52.20.40.196 via SD card update, there is no issue f ...

Hi FYJ,

I downgraded by copying the lolypop downgrade firmware from last Sept to the root directory.  Then doing the update when the phone says that it detected new firmware and asked if I wanted to update.

I think the issue isn't that I downgraded.  It's that it's that I also did a factory reset.  I wanted a 100% clean install so I wiped all data and cash.  That's why the phone will ask for me to validate my google account again during the setup wizard.  It is during the setup wizard that I get the error 403 when it comes to validating my account.  I think the old firmware would validate it within the wizard app but that is not allowed anymore since 3 months ago as Google enhanced their security standards.  It needs to be done on the web right at google website.  With the Lolypop it just gave me an error saying that it is not allowed.  With the new Marshmellow firmware, it takes me to googles website where I enter my gmail account and password, and they send me the pin code, I enter it, and it unlocks the phone and everything works after that.

So something to do with factory reset and validating that your the owner of the phone, and the old firmware. The other poster   
joseuzcategui08.1986  also had this error when he did a factory reset recently and he also had Lolypop installed (Not sure what else he did but he had the exact error I had where he got stuck in the wizard setup.).  But the new Lolypop firmware from a few weeks also didn't work.  So hopefully they issue a new firmware update for that one.  In my experience, Lolypop is more stable than Marshmellow.

I also get this annoying popup in the new marshmellow.     "Enable Device protection.  Your previous device protection is now void and will be replaced by a new version.  To activate your new device protection version, go to Settings>Accounts then remove current Google account.  Add back your preferred Google account to activate your new device protection."      I do what it says several times.  Remove my google account and then add it again, but error pops up again and again....  Something not right with security and new firmware in marshmellow.  

I could try to sideload the latest Lolypop firmware again and see if I can update it that way (without doing a factory reset).  Since no factory reset is done, maybe it will not ask me to validate in the set up wizard and it should be ok.  Just never do a factory reset again and all should be good.  But, phone is working on marshmellow now and I was scared the phone was bricked for good.  I don't really want to risk downgrading it now.

Props
Hi robert77,

Are you saying you have succeeded to downgrade to WW-52.20.40.196? Then you factory reset from settings? or hardware reset?

Please provide more and I will test it.

Thanks
Props
eraysertankula posted on 2017/8/10 20:43
Did you have a screen lock or a Google account logged in?

Hi eraysertankula ,

I do have them enabled.
Props
Last edited by robert77 on 2017/8/11 22:11

Hi  FJY,

I didn't know how to install firmware via the PC at the time, but remembered that ASUS released that downgrade to Lolypop firmware from marshmellow last Sept.   I copied that firmware to the internal memory root directory and downgraded that way.  I then also did a Factory Reset via the boot up by pressing the Power Button and Volume Up button.  Did factory reset and wiped cash.....

When I went through the ASUS set up wizard, right after I set up the WiFi it said my phone was factory reset and I needed to verify my original Google account.  When I hit the verify button, goes straight to Error 403 Google webpage.  Three months ago Google changed how this authorization can be done.  Prior to 3 months ago, they let this authorization be done within the APP (This would be the ASUS Set up Wizard).  But Google stopped this method since an APP could steal your account info and password.  So now the APP's must send you to Googles secure website where you logon to your account to verify.. This is how the new ASU^S Marsmellow Set Up Wizard works....  It sent me to Googles website, I entered my account information and login,  and it then sent me a PIN number via Text Message which I entered into my Asus phone in the Set Up Wizard, and verified the account....  Set Up Wizard then moved on to the next step in the set up process....

Have you tried doing a Factory and Cash reset via the boot up method and see if an older version of Lollypop works in the Set up Wizard?   I know the other poster  joseuzcategui08.1986 had this same error.  All he said is he is on Lolypop and did a Factory Reset, and then also got stuck in the Set up Wizard with the 403 error.  Not sure what else he did as he didn't say.  But it might be that all older firmware has this issue since 3 months ago.  When I tried to sideload the latest Lolypop firmware I still got stuck in that 403 error in set up wizard.  Only after I sideloaded the latest marshmellow did it work properly.
Props
robert77 posted on 2017/8/11 22:04
Hi  FJY,

I didn't know how to install firmware via the PC at the time, but remembered that ASUS rel ...

Hi robert77,

Yes, I do try factory reset by hard reset(power key + volume up key to get into recovery mode to factory reset.)

As I mentioned above, Google FPS applies only to devices running Android 5.1. The firmware 2.20.40.196 or 52.20.40.196 is Android 5.0.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en

When the phone starts to set up after the downgrade, it does not ask me to sign in a google account that was previously synced on this device. It just simply asks me to sign in with an account.
Props
12Next
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm