[System] ASUS_Z012DE - WW SKU???

5817 9
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
omfrep BRA Level 1 | All posts
Hello guys,

I need some advice with my new ZF3.
I have just received it from Gearbest.

First thing I tried to do was to update the firmware.
When I click on the system update button the phone starts to check if there is an update and after a few seconds (3 to 7 secs) nothing happens.

So, I thought I could do a manual update and after reading the forum I found myself confused.

The versions I found on the Asus webpage are:

ASUS ZenFone 3 ZE552KL (ASUS_Z012DE) software Image: CN_V13.20.10.138 for CN SKU only*

and

ASUS ZenFone 3 ZE552KL (ASUS_Z012D, ASUS_Z012DA, ASUS_Z012DB, ASUS_Z012DC, ASUS_Z012S) software Image: WW_V13.20.10.137 for WW SKU only*

So far so good, so I checked on my phone and a mixture of model and sku confused me:

Look on the print screens attached.

It seems my model is the ASUS_Z012DE (which accordingly to the firmware versions should be CN sku) but the listed SKU on the phone is WW (which the ASUS_Z012DE is not listed as an option on the website).

What should I do?

Which version should I use to run a manual update?
Or, even better: Is there a way to make my phone update automatically?

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot_20161206-210937.jpg
Screenshot_20161206-210950.jpg
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi omfrep,

Please inbox me your serial number(settings>about>status>serial number)

thanks
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
Did you get this online? And from whom?
Props
Driver8666 posted on 2016/12/7 02:33
Did you get this online? And from whom?

Its from my own phone.

It arrived yesterday.
Props
FYJ_ASUS posted on 2016/12/6 21:27
Hi omfrep,

Please inbox me your serial number(settings>about>status>serial number)

SN sent.

Thank you for your time in helping me.
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
omfrep posted on 2016/12/7 12:21
Its from my own phone.

It arrived yesterday.

It arrived yesterday doesn't answer my question. Did you purchase this online?
Props
Driver8666 posted on 2016/12/7 12:55
It arrived yesterday doesn't answer my question. Did you purchase this online?

Yes.

As I stated on the original post: Gearbest!
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
omfrep posted on 2016/12/8 05:09
Yes.

As I stated on the original post: Gearbest!

I'm using the Z012DC model (US Version) and I live in Canada. I bought mine from a retail location (physically went in and bought it). If the box says CN but WW firmware is installed on it, the chances are that your phone was modified. If it did not come sealed (cellophane wrap), then this is a high possibility. I'm surprised to see the auto update option. Firmware that's been flashed or changed don't show this option usually.

What does your box say? If you decide to post a pic of it, black out the Serial Number, and the IMEI number. DO NOT post that information here. It could be that firmware is not released. I know a firmware update was released for my phone Wednesday morning and installed.
Props
Driver8666 posted on 2016/12/8 17:11
I'm using the Z012DC model (US Version) and I live in Canada. I bought mine from a retail location ...

It definitely was modified by the store.

It is a chinese store and probably they modify it to sell as a "Worldwide version".

The phone was already configured by the time I opened the box.

I had to give a factory reset to see those options related to the initial configuration every phone shows when you first boot.

I`m going to file a complaint with the store. Let`s see their "explanation".

Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
Last edited by Driver8666 on 2016/12/9 02:58
omfrep posted on 2016/12/8 18:37
It definitely was modified by the store.

It is a chinese store and probably they modify it to sel ...

2 ways to tell if this is the case on a brand new phone:

1. Cellophane wrap has been removed.
2. There is a clear sticker on the screen used to protect it during shipment (you hope). If this has been removed, you'll know. If it's been removed and reapplied, then there would be air bubbles.

When I bought mine, I had to configure the phone. I also got something called Liquid Armor where I got it. It's a clear gel that fuses to the phone (I have this on my ZE551KL and ZE551ML as well). Protects it from scratches and is invisible, so you don't know it's there. It had to be applied twice. Front and back. To have this put on, I had to break the seal on the box and remove that film from the screen.

If you buy a phone online, and it comes already configured, that's called tampering. That's illegal.

In the ZE551ML forums this was (and probably still is) a common theme. I learned about this stunt when a user in India (not the ones that complain about VoLTE, VoWifi or Android N), had the issue of he could not update his firmware over the air (FOTA). I pressed him on where he got his phone. This user told me that he purchased it online and had it shipped to him. Another thing I learned was people will buy phones that are not intended for use in their geographical region, online and have the firmware flashed to a different version. People don't realize this.

If your firmware is CN, Google Play is banned. It is not on other versions of the phone.
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm