ZenFone2 Bug Report
Model: ZE551ML
RAM: 4G
Firmware/APP Version: ww_4.21.40.134
Frequency of Occurrence: 5G
Rooted: Yes
APP Name: -
Screenshot: -
I have noticed with ZE551ML ww version (sold in US), 5G wifi is missing a lot of bands (50 ~ 149). These missing bands are legal in US.

All my other 5G capable devices works with these bands. As soon as I changed the band to 151, Zenfone 2 starts to see the access point.

Is this a software issue (issue has been around since launch with lollipop, still presents in marshmellow), or hardware issue?
Props
IND Beta Tester | All posts
When we get new update of Zenfone 2 Deluxe Ze551ml Of Android 7 {Nougat}
  Please provide atleast Beta version of Nougat
  ( Not a custom rom Like Cynagonmod 
Of a Nougat beta version )
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi asdfsdf23

Could you show me your Router model?

And show me how you set your wifi settings.please take a screenshot.
Do you have sim card inserted when you tried to change wifi channel? where is this sim card from?

thanks
Props
asdfsdf23 USA Level 2 | All posts
Last edited by asdfsdf23 on 2016/11/24 11:42

RadioRadio is On
Mode AP   
Network Mixed   
SSID home
Channel 52 + 54
TX Power Auto
Rate 135 Mbps
Encryption - Interface wl1Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Belkin F7D8301 running ddwrt, everything else connects just fine
US (T-Mobile/AT&T) SIM card
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
Last edited by Driver8666 on 2016/11/24 02:30

@asdfsdf23

I'm in Canada and my phone is hooked into the 2.4 and 5G bands and it's the US model. I don't (and didn't) have this issue. But I'm using 2.4, because my hp Envy 7640 can't use the 5G bands. My Xbox One defaults to it, if the Ethernet screws up. Right now I'm using a ZE552KL, and it's basically the same as the ZE551ML, only a lot lighter on the battery (way more better, has the Snapdragon processor), and doesn't have NFC, but then again, I never used it much anyways. But on my ZE551ML, I have it locked on the 5G frequency for the Wifi. 2.4 is used in an emergency, or signal loss. It's reversed for my ZE552KL.

Try a channel higher than 152. That would be my suggestion.

As for Android N, do we need to be whipped? It might happen on my ZE552KL, but for the ZE551ML, I'd bet on no. The only way to pull this off is to root your device, but that voids the warranty. Some users on here can and have done this. The majority probably do not know how. And if you want to look that up on the Internet, you're more than welcome to.
And since I now have a ZE552KL, and have relagated the ZE551ML to a backup, I get 15-24 hours out of the battery using it the same way as the ZE551ML. It goes up to 38-45, if I don't use it as much. So if I forget to charge it, it won't matter. It sips the battery, not gulps it down as I've seen on here. I used to have to charge my ZE551ML once at work. On the ZE552KL, I don't have to do that. It'll last my entire shift, and then some. But that's a different phone entirely.

Props
asdfsdf23 USA Level 2 | All posts
Driver8666 posted on 2016/11/24 14:02
@asdfsdf23

I'm in Canada and my phone is hooked into the 2.4 and 5G bands and it's the US model. I ...

The whole point of the thread is asking ASUS why the phone is missing so many 5G bands...5G is a hit and miss on this phone
Props
LTU Level 6 | All posts
Driver8666 posted on 2016/11/24 08:02
@asdfsdf23

I'm in Canada and my phone is hooked into the 2.4 and 5G bands and it's the US model. I ...

Drop test ZE552KL:
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
Last edited by Driver8666 on 2016/11/27 02:34

I have a special gel installed on the phone (Liquid Armor) to prevent this from happening. Plus a rubber case ordered from Amazon. But then again hey. More than likely has to do with Gorilla Glass. It's been on my Fitbit Blaze, Fitbit Alta, and my ZE551KL, ZE551ML and ZE552KL, but with the 552KL, it had to be applied twice, one for the front and one for the back.
Funny I didn't see that one in the ZE552KL forums, yet. But there you have your usual complaints, but not as numerous as here, and not one that I found about the battery.

When I first got my ZE552KL, even with the Liquid Armor installed, it was one slippery beast. If the video's poster had a silicone case to slip over, those cracks would not be happening. As soon as I found out about the phone being slippery, I ordered a case off Amazon on the train and had it shipped to where I was the same day (I was on vacation from work).
Props
USA Level 5 | All posts
Last edited by Driver8666 on 2016/11/27 02:10
asdfsdf23 posted on 2016/11/26 01:53
The whole point of the thread is asking ASUS why the phone is missing so many 5G bands...5G is a hi ...

Hit and miss, I'd say. But my router only uses Channels 152 and above. One is provisioned for my Xbox One, should something happen with the Ethernet, as a backup. But because of the Envy, my phone uses the 2.4G band and only uses the 5G band when it has to, and this is with the ZE552KL. As for the question on whether it's a hardware or software issue, on this one, I don't know. Could be a hardware issue, but that's premature.

On the 551ML, it uses the 5G band all the way.
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm