Release Note
ZenTalk

[More Information Needed] [Power/Battery] Micro-USB port issues: (stops) charging sporadically

1678 4
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
Alek Davis USA Level 1 | All posts
ZenFone2 Bug Report
Model: ZE551ML
RAM: 2G
Firmware/APP Version: 1603_5.0.59.5_0317,546_7.0.29.0_0413
Frequency of Occurrence: AT&T (GSM)
Rooted: Yes
APP Name: -
Screenshot: -
Bought the phone (ASUS_Z00AD) a little over a year ago. It is now charging sporadically. I'd insert the micro-USB cable and it would initially show the phone charging, but a few seconds later it stops charging. The same micro-USB cable works fine for my LG G3 phone. I have a feeling that the micro-USB port is loose or something. Under certain conditions (when stars align perfectly) it would charge fine (using the same cable), but there is no guarantee. I tried a number of cables. They work fine with my G3, but most don't work with ASUS at all and a couple would not charge at times. Is there anythiong I can do to fix it? Thanks.
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi Alek Davis,

Are you using asus original cable?

What's your firmware version?
Props
LTU Level 6 | All posts
I previously tried, and may simply not be suitable for charging the ASUS and other manufacturers of cables. For example from Note 8 N5100 USB cable is not good, even in the most normal tablet does not charge, that once tried to use it and ZF2 Z00A ZE551ML phone, then it does not work fast charging. And Besides, your guess is that bad socket contacts, it is also option. But in the beginning I suggest to check with a new ASUS original charging cable or running. Just go and ask for advice in any electronics store or phone rules to allow testing or charging works great
Props
Alek Davis USA Level 1 | All posts
Oh, sorry for not responding sooner (I did not get any notification about replies to the thread for some reason). Anyway, I'm not sure where to get the firmware version info (I posted what I think may be firmware version in the original question). The problem about using the original cables, is that all USB cables look alike. How do you guys keep track of the original cables? Do you move them between charging stations (say, I normally charge phones using the kitchen outlets, but sometimes in the bedroom, office, etc). Do you have tags attached to cables? I thought cables should be pretty much standard, not (maybe with the gauge differences), so I assume that they all must work at some degree. My problem seems to be the cable connector, not the cable itself. Nevertheless, my wife dropped the phone into a toilet a few days ago, so I now have bigger problems. :-) Thanks for your suggestions, though.
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Hi  Alek Davis,

Good day.
Does this problem occur on safe mode ?
safe mode : https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1005163

Do you have try to factory reset?

Thanks.
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum